One of the most exciting parts of planning a wedding is talking about, and planning, the honeymoon. But how do you decide where to go? Beaches or Mountains? Domestic or Abroad? City or Country? Nightlife or Romantic? There are so many destinations to choose from that it can be overwhelming.
So where do you start? Let me make that easier with 6 of my best tips for picking (and planning!) the perfect honeymoon destination:
- Determine Your Budget. This is one of the most important parts of this planning process. You want to pick a budget that you are both comfortable with and you want to stick to it (or as close to it as possible!) Once you’ve got your budget you can focus on finding the location that meets that budget and not the other way around!
- The Vibe This part is so important to figuring out what kind of honeymoon you want to have. And it’s one of the things you’ll need to have the most conversation about. Here are some of the things I recommend asking yourselves:
- Do you want beaches or mountains?
- Does the view from your room matter or will you spend most of your time enjoying your surroundings?
- All-Inclusive or do you want something more à la carte?
- Are you dreaming of a luxury-resort-style hotel or more of a Bed & Breakfast-y feel?
- Do you want nightlife or something more remote and quiet?
- Are outdoor-adventure/experiences important? (i.e. snorkeling, kayaking, etc.)
- Do you want to spend time at a spa?
- Are you foodies who want to sample new treats and discover local cuisine?
- Don’t Underestimate Weather. It’s important to think about the time of year you are planning for and what the typical weather patterns are in the places you’re interested in. You might not want to visit during a rainy or hurricane season. Or maybe you aren’t wanting to go somewhere chilly and need to make sure that temps will be higher. Even though you can’t always predict exactly what it will be like, take the average weather into account when making your plans!
- What’s Your Timeline? Are you wanting a shorter “mini-moon”, a 2-week long stay, or something in the middle? The wedding itself and the time you need off of work (or away from other commitments) for that should be factored in when planning how long you want your stay to be. Make sure that you can get away for the desired time before you lock something in. (It doesn’t hurt to go ahead and get the days off approved early too!)
- Location. Location. Location. When most people dream of their honeymoon a certain image usually pops into their minds. But with the current pandemic a lot of couples have had to make changes to their plans. The pandemic has allowed the travel world to put the spotlight on some amazing domestic locations in addition to the amazing options overseas. You can’t go wrong either way because there is something for everyone no matter where you’re looking.
- Use A Travel Agent I know what you’re thinking, of course the travel agent would say you need to have someone help you plan, but let me tell you why. You don’t pay me a dime because my services are complementary to you. Instead I’m paid through whatever vendor you end up booking with. Which means it’s not about the money, it’s about making this process stress free and easy for you. It means you have someone to help you make decisions, someone to recommend places they personally know or have sent other couples to. It means having someone on your side if there are any glitches in your stay and someone who can guide you through the planning and answer any questions you have. The real question is NOT why would you use a travel agent, it’s why wouldn’t you?
So there you have it, my best pieces of advice as you start planning your honeymoon. If you need help answering any of these questions or if you’re ready to start planning, reach out to me today and let’s make it happen. I like to say that this is your trip, I’m just here to take away the stress and make the honeymoon of your dreams a reality.
Are you dreaming of a Disney vacation? An all-inclusive trip? A cruise? A different type of vacation? Meg with Travelmation is here to create a customized (and magical!) vacation package–all at no cost to you! Let her help you make your vacation dreams come true! You can find her on Facebook, send her an email, or give her a call at 765-748-0316.